Online Retail growth in SA: The Tweenote presentation
Tweenote presentation (10 Tweets on a topic in 10 minutes) of MasterCard Online Shopping Survey with South African industry context (using hashtag #MCSurvey):
1. #MCSurvey MasterCard Online Shopping Survey part of global study. Local industry context from World Wide Worx research.
2. #MCSurvey sampled 500 SA consumers, 18-64, banked, online at least once a week. Representative of highly active users.
3. #MCSurvey found 58% of active Internet users shopping online in 2011. World Wide Worx puts that at 1,65-million people.
4. #MCSurvey found high growth in % of online shoppers: up from 44% in 2009, 53% in 2010; and % of growing base each year.
5. #MCSurvey showed concern over security falling rapidly: 2009: 59% worried; 2010: 47%; 2011: 38%. Function of experience.
6. #MCSurvey finds key factors in growth are price/value, convenience and secure sites. Backed by World Wide Worx research.
7. #MCSurvey shows product and site reviews increase confidence. Social media (Facebook, Twitter) will be vital in process.
8. #MCSurvey finds virtual products, eg coupons, air tickets, gaming and apps, most likely to be bought online vs offline.
9. #MCSurvey finds grocery shopping in decline, down from 27% to 9%. Mirrors World Wide Worx finding segment stagnating.
10. #MCSurvey finds Kalahari, Amazon and Bidorbuy the biggest online retail drawcards for SA. Groupon biggest contendor.
Thank you for following the #MCSurvey tweenote. Full details of the findings are up on @GadgetZA at http://bit.ly/HHp70c